[Qgis-user] Filter layers spatially?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Mon Oct 26 07:31:46 PDT 2020

Hi,

filtering layers (Right-click on layer -> Filter...) for attributes is
possible for a long time.
Now I wonder if (and then how) it would be possible to filter layers
based on an other layer spatially.

My use case is, that I have a cadastral layer with 1.3 million features,
but I only need subsets of this in a time for a project area.

So I created a bounding box ("Bounding geometry") around the area of
interest and would like to subset the cadastre to those features
within/intersecting/touching/whatever the bounding box layer.

The "normal" workflow so far was, to manually select the cadastral
features in that area and create a copy, cause working with the hole
data set takes much too long to redraw the canvas on every move.

I now would just like to test if such a filter (if possible) would have
better performance and spare me the act of creating copies all the time
for different areas.

Could not find anything on that on the web.

Cheers,
Bernd