[Qgis-user] Editing Joined Tables

Springfield Harrison stellargps at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 22:28:10 PDT 2020

Hello Nicolas /et al,/

Thanks for your thoughts and the suggestion copied below:

Csv table is a convenient way manually adding coordinates but if all you
need is to have access to the x/y georefencing options, you can do that
with any filed in any vector file by updating the geometry from a field
using the field calculator. Using something like
geom_from_wkt('POINT('||"x"||' '||"y"||')').

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/285634/qgis-update-feature-geometry-from-attribute-fields

This looks like a useful procedure, but only for a few points.  I will
have a dozen or so (from Total Station and/or GPS) to input per batch so
I think my workflow will be:

 1. Tree positions in a shapefile
 2. tree attributes in a shapefile
 3. the files are linked by a common tree tag field
 4. attributes are added as and when to the attribute shape file
 5. tree positions are brought into the project as a CSV file derived
    from the total station or the GPS; X and Y fields are defined upon
    import.  The file structure mimics the tree position shapefile
 6. new tree positions are copied in the CSV file, then pasted into the
    tree position shapefile.

This is complex, but does seem to work after considerable trial and
error.  If there is a simpler approach, I would be more than pleased to
hear about it but this is where I have fetched up for the moment.

The complication is that the position file needs to be edited for
on-screen digitizing plus it needs to accept batch inputs from the GPS
and survey instruments.  It seems that the workflow outlined above is
the only way to meet all these needs.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts, collaboration is definitely of
great value…

-----
Cheers, Spring Harrison