[Qgis-user] Intel vs AMD

Maria Niermann (23153112) 23153112 at student.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 10 05:39:24 PDT 2020

Thanks. Not a Linux user, although I have been pondering at times.

Maria Niermann
MSc Hydrogeology

Studying - MScEnvSc CATWA at UWA (Environmental Science - Catchment & Water)
University of Western Australia
School of Agriculture and Environment

On 10 Sep 2020, at 19:41, Charles Dixon-Paver <charles at kartoza.com> wrote:

I have had issues with AMD graphics hardware on Linux but not with processors (desktop systems only). Laptop manufacturers will usually identify which devices have been designed as compatible with Linux or other operating systems, in which case if your device is not explicitly supported you may encounter driver issues with the various components (bluetooth/ WLAN cards etc) or maybe even have do a couple of preload hacks to get it running on your hardware. In my experience, this happens regardless of the hardware vendor.

I have encountered issues with AMD processors with legacy operating systems (i.e. Windows 7) where just getting them to work required hacks and the system experienced a degradation of performance. In other cases, where performance was not as expected, OS level system tweaking usually got things chugging along smoothly (usually a windows default "enhancement" causing a bug, and it's usually patched at some point). In some instances, issues were caused by other hardware settings (e.g. RAM config) or related to other application specific settings on the motherboard or overclocking configuration, which is usually pretty scenario specific and requires rtfm. With a laptop, I doubt this is anything you need to worry about.

In short, you shouldn't have any problems if you're intending on "normal" usage, but Linux compatibility is a consideration with a laptop purchase if you intend on using it.

Regards

Anyone got word as to any issues that might arise going AMD processor on a laptop?

Thanks