[Qgis-user] Postgis create a read only user

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 07:53:43 PDT 2021

Raffaele and list,

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 7:14 AM Raffaele Ceretto <cerettoraffaele at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I have a gis project with several layers inside.
> The layers are currently all editable.
> I'd like to create a new read-only user who can open the gis project and
> be able to see the whole project without modifying anything.
> Could you help me please?
>
> It's not the user who is read-only, it is the database, table and other
permissions.

Table permissions are SELECT | INSERT | UPDATE | DELETE | TRUNCATE |
REFERENCES | TRIGGER

Database permissions are CREATE | CONNECT | TEMPORARY | TEMP

You GRANT something ON something TO someone.

Also you REVOKE permissions.

Between GRANT and REVOKE commands you can arrive at a database, its schemas
and their tables and other artifacts that has the kind of access you want.

I suggest reading this article
https://postgis.net/workshops/postgis-intro/security.html where you will
see the concept of "read-only users" discussed (which I think is a bad
descriptive label but anyway).

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.