[Qgis-user] Editing attribute table

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Tue Apr 13 00:32:23 PDT 2021

Hi Pat,
maybe it's not clear for me what is your issue.

I apologize if it could be obvious, but there's something you need to
consider about a vector GIS layer and thus a Shapefile.

Each feature of a Shapefile contains basically two type of information:
a geometry (point/line/polygon/...) and some alphanumeric attributes.

The coordinates of a feature geometry, e.g. a point, are stored apart
and are independent from the alphanumeric attributes related to that
feature.

The coordinates of a feature geometry in a Shapefile DO NOT depend form
any alphanumeric attributes present in the attribute table.

If a point is misplaced, you could just edit the feature geometry and
move the point to whatever coordinates you want.

If a couple of alphanumeric attributes of the features contains a couple
of decimal values that could be interpreted as coordinates in any CRS,
and you think these coordinates are correct, then you could use the
"Create point layer from table" processing tool to create a new
Shapefile in which the points geometry are generated with the
coordinates values taken from the provided alphanumeric attributes in
the attribute table.
In the new Shapefile, the coordinates of each point feature geometry
will match the coordinates stored in the attribute table as the
alphanumeric attributes you provided in the "Create point layer from
table" tool.

Anyway, also in the new Shapefile, the coordinates of a feature geometry
are stored apart and are independent from the alphanumeric attributes
related to that feature.
So, if you move the point in the Shapefile, changing its geometry
coordinates, then the coordinates stored as alphanumeric attributes in
the attribute table WILL NOT automatically change. And if you change the
coordinates stored as alphanumeric attributes in the attribute table,
then the point geometry WILL NOT automatically move to the changed
coordinates.

I hope I was clear and I apologize again if these information are
obvious to you.

Best regards.

Andrea