[Qgis-user] Is QGIS suitable for...

Wolfgang Meinolf wmeinolf at bbv-deutschland.de
Sat Apr 17 05:41:55 PDT 2021

Hi and first of all greetings form Bavaria :-)

QGIS is excellent for that purpose. I would recommend to have a look here: https://www.geoportal.de/portal/main/ and then OPEN Data and Regionen und Städte.

I use the DLM 250, which also can included vis WFS. For NRW, Thüringen and Sachsen also the Basis DLM is available free of charge. DLM contains all more than 11.000 Cities in Germany and information for this like Ortsnamen, Ortsteilamen etc.

The Coordinate Reference System, allows detailled measurements of nearly anything, not just distance. Not sure, which topographical infos you need, however also topo maps are available

To enhance the data I would recommend to have a look into Open Street Map (https://www.openstreetmap.org) , which also can easily used in QGIS with i.e. QuickOSM Plugin, which allows to search and download various data. Specifically together with operpass turbo (https://overpass-turbo.eu/), which has a wizard to find specific items.

I don't know the TOP50 map software, as I just found a pretty old link from 2007. However I'm sure, that QGIS has at least these capabilities.

Best regards und freundliche Grüße aus der Holledau
W.Meinolf