[Qgis-user] vector difference between two layers?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Apr 17 12:05:47 PDT 2021

I spent about 30 minutes searching various menus, reading the manual and
searching the web.  Sorry if I should have found the answer.

I have two layers that are representing the same physical objects, stone
monuments for my town's boundaries:

  One is from MassGIS is derived from 1890s surveys (and contains all
  town corners, not just my town).

  One is my own observations with RTK.

I have a name field in my layer that should match a name field in the
MassGIS layer.

Obviously the coordinates do not quite match, but they are remarkably
close (usually sub-meter).

I saw visualizations in NGS's report about NAD83(2011) showing changes
in station coordinates as the result of an adjustment, with a vector at
each point showing the delta as distance/azimuth.

So, I'd like to:

  create a new layer which is the point-wise vector difference of the
  input layers, with an output point in cases where the same name
  appears in both, with coordinates of one or the other and an attribute
  of distance/azimuth of the difference

  display that symbolized with a vector at each point

and perhaps more analysis later, but that's my first goal.

Pointers would be much appreciated.

Greg