[Qgis-user] Help! QGIS crashed and has deleted my QGZ file

john at john-firth-editor.co.uk john at john-firth-editor.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 05:56:25 PDT 2021

I'm using QGIS 3.16.0 on Windows 10, standalone PC. I have taken some
training, but am a pretty inexpert user. The map that I've spent several
months developing (for a book I'm writing) crashed on Saturday, and when I
tried to load it just now it is greyed out in the Open Recent list (with an
exclamation mark next to it) and File Explorer no longer finds it on my hard
disk.

I attempted to do what your website advised (downloaded DeBug View, which
did not appear to run on my computer). When the file crashed, I had just
added a couple of entries to an attribute table (it's not a large one,
though there are others in the file). I've no doubt someone more expert than
I am could tell me how to extract a crash report, if that would be helpful.

Is there any chance of saving my map?

John Firth

On 1 March 2020 a Royal Charter was given to the Society for Editors and
Proofreaders (SfEP), which is now the Chartered Institute of Editing and
Proofreading.

I would like to keep your contact details in my records, so I can stay in
touch. If you are happy for me to do this, please reply to this email,
copying the following text into your reply: 'I am happy for John Firth to
record my name and email address, to keep me informed about his services and
availability'.