[Qgis-user] Help! QGIS crashed and has deleted my QGZ file

john at john-firth-editor.co.uk john at john-firth-editor.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 08:09:20 PDT 2021

Thanks for quick reply, Kirk. I'm going to look into restoring from the
back-up before Saturday (I need to make a living for the rest of today), but
what prompted my concern was that the project file (QGZ) is not found by
File Explorer, either in the folder I used to store it in or in the Recycle
Bin. There's no previously saved version, no .TMP version (I don't know
whether QGIS sets these up); nothing. The explanation mark that QGIS placed
next to its title in the Open Recent line would probably tell me more, if
the line weren't greyed-out.

A number of the other files are still present (including, interestingly, the
shapefile that I modified just before the crash); but I should probably have
kept a separate list of these somewhere as I can't tell from looking down
the list whether they are all present. (As usual, burnt hand teaches best.)

So, having calmed down a bit, I should be able to recover my work with only
a day or so lost (unless I find that the backup won't restore properly). But
I am fairly concerned that a large file has apparently disappeared as a
result of a crash.

John Firth

On 1 March 2020 a Royal Charter was given to the Society for Editors and
Proofreaders (SfEP), which is now the Chartered Institute of Editing and
Proofreading.

I store in my records the contact details of everyone who writes to me, so I
can stay in touch. If you do not want me to do this, please reply to this
email, copying the following text into your reply: 'Please do not record my
name and email address, or write to me unless I write to you first'.