[Qgis-user] Data issues CRS and Elevation

Iain at jcis.net.au Iain at jcis.net.au
Wed Apr 21 14:30:43 PDT 2021

"and this places it off the west coast of Ethiopia.?" A familiar issue for
many of us with the wrong CRS or reversing the easting and northing. I
wasn't quite sure what the solution for the problem was though. Could you
georeference the raster?

With GPS heights the rule of thumb, handed to me by an old and crusty land
surveyor, for GPS's is vertical error = 2x Horizontal error. The first
question is what GPS you are using. In am not sure but Garmin64 is not a
precise GPs so you might have an inherent 1-2m error horizontally on a good
day which would translates to 2-4m vertically.

The second one is trees.  As Nicolas Cadieux noted STRMs are affected by
trees but equally so are GPS's. I think we have converging error factors
that would explain the elevation differences.

I am not sure carrying a barometer about is the solution. In practical terms
I usually carry GPS, Camera, notebook, Phablet plus a spare power source all
of which are getting a bit heavy a barometer might just be too much.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397