[Qgis-user] Problem using Model Inputs variable in an Select by expression in the model Designer

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 16:01:54 PDT 2021

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 at 03:53, Charles Dixon-Paver <charles at kartoza.com> wrote:

> Honestly I have no idea 😂
>
> I mean, of course what is happening is QGIS is needing to identify a field from a text string, and it's even possible that with some convoluted chain of escape characters or funky regex the process could correct itself and "just work".
>
> In all likelihood you could have just stumbled onto some obscure bug in the underlying processing API where the context of that field object get's dropped or orphaned when  trying to access it.

There's no bug here -- the variable value is just a pure text string,
and the expression engine can't automatically guess that you actually
want the value of the field with that name, and not just the name
string itself. Hence the need for the attribute function, which allows
you to retrieve a feature's fields via a text string containing the
field name.

Nyall