[Qgis-user] LAStools on Mac Catalina --- LAS -> LAZ

Maria Shinoto maria.shinoto at zaw.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Aug 27 19:48:05 PDT 2021

Hi,

this is an answer to myself for anybody interested.

Three possible solutions I thought of:

(1) QGIS -- LAStools seem to not work any more on Macs above version 3.14.

(2) wine -- this would have been an elegant solution in the mac Terminal: 'wine lastoolscommand filename' -- But unfortunately, wine does not work with Mac OS 10.15 and above any more.

(3) Virtual Machine or Parallels Desktop with Command Line Interface -- horrible since I absolutely do not know Windows, but the CLI was fine, so I opened the CLI at the folder with the .las files and the LAStools.exe file I needed (laszip.exe in particular; all in the same folder); and that worked really well. I was afraid of the reaction of the Virtual Machine on the large files, but no problem.

So (3) was the way to go. I only hope that wine will return to the Mac...

Best and thank Nicolas for your support,
Maria