[Qgis-user] Line dissolve

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 20:20:56 PDT 2021

Hi,

I will look at the wkt output but it seems that with lines, dissolve will just create a single huge multiline.  The multi part to single part will just split it back up.  I suspect that dissolve only deals with common border in polygones and not line ends.  Will test tomorrow to figure out more details.

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux

> Le 31 août 2021 à 03:57, DelazJ <delazj at gmail.com> a écrit :
>

> Hi,
>
> > That does not work with lines unfortunately. I tried multiple times with different combinations.  It works with polygons when common borders need to be dissolved.
>
> Nicolas, can you elaborate a bit more on the issues you have with the "Dissolve + Multipart to singleparts" solution I provided few days ago. At which step is it failing? The dissolve does not merge joining features into a single one? I don't know the function internals but I'd expect it to work this way and if not, would sound like a bug to report IMHO...
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>
>> Le mar. 31 août 2021 à 00:57, Nicolas Cadieux <njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> Thanks Charles,
>>
>> This will be very useful. Nice to know I'am not the only one going crazy with this!!!
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> On 2021-08-30 4:42 p.m., Charles Dixon-Paver wrote:
>>> I thought this would be easily solved with an expression but sadly I haven't been able to get reliable results at all.
>>>
>>> My first thought was collect($geometry,filter:=intersects($geometry,geometry(@parent))) and when that didn't work I tried various aggregates and union operations to no avail. Something like this might be useful if you can get it into a usable form (I managed to get various multigeometries in the form you are looking for but wasn't able to do much with them and there seemed to be artifacts):
>>>
>>> collect_geometries(array_foreach(aggregate(layer:='lines',aggregate:='array_agg',expression:=$geometry,filter:=intersects($geometry,geometry(@parent))), at element))
>>>
>>> I was actually waiting for someone else to come up with a more elegant solution, but it would probably also be possible to identify intersecting features and get the minimum/ maximum feature id for intersecting features with this:
>>>
>>> aggregate(layer:='lines',
>>> aggregate:='min',
>>> expression:="fid",