[Qgis-user] Strange authentication behaviour on startup using proxy

Christian Beer chrisbeer at posteo.de
Sun Dec 26 10:43:31 PST 2021

Hello,

I came accros a strange behaviour with one of our qgis users. I'm not
sure if this is a problem for developers or expereinced qgis users so
I'm starting to post it here.

We are using a webproxy to access the Internet. I configured QGIS to use
the proxy and saved the authentication info (username/password) into the
auth database. There are two other authentication settings for external
WFS content that is only reachable through the Internet (via said proxy)
in the auth database.
Whenever QGIS starts it asks for a username and password to access the
Internet although this information is already stored in the authdb. When
I enter the correct proxy credentials the external WFS content is shown
and I can see the stored configurations in the options dialog. When I
don't enter the proxy credentials or choose to skip the initial question
for credentials (there is an option to skip for 10 seconds) the external
content (WFS and News Feed) is not shown and the content of the
authentication database is also not shown in the options dialog. Wehn
editing the external WFS layer qgis tells me that the configuration is
missing. Restarting and entering the correct credentials then works again.

Several questions here: Why is there a prompt for the proxy credentials
when they are part of the authenticaion database? Why is the authdb not
loaded when I skip the proxy credentials prompt? I also noticed that
sometimes even entering the correct credentials in the initial prompt
doesn't load the authdb. The only way to get it working is deleting the
authdb file and adding the credentials again.

This is also available as a github issue with steps to reproduce and
versions tested: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/46216

--

MfG
Christian Beer