[Qgis-user] What is postgresql client version and does it have anything to do with different postgresql versions

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Feb 4 05:32:51 PST 2021

Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> writes:

> I think you are complicating things :-)
>
> There are postgres/gis SERVER versions
> And postgres/gis/ CLIENT LIBRARY version
>
> In general: IF you have a SERVER version you should try to have the same CLIENT (=library) version.
> BUT: only to be able to do the new things introduced in the SERVER version OR to have a better client version because they fixed bugs in that client(library) version.
> In general: you can probably also connect to a new SERVER version with
> an older CLIENT (unless off course you want to do things that at the
> time of the CLIENT version was just not possible).

(I definitely do not mean to take issue with your suggestion about the
speed changes, at all.)

I do think it's a fair question, though, as interop across
postgresql-client and postgresql-server is non-obvious from first
principles.  It really depends on the rules of the postgresql world
about the client/server protocol and how well those rules are followed.
As well as how much compat code there is to deal with older servers, and
how well newer servers behave with older clients.  As you say with any
luck everything is fine, and postgresql has a long history of adult
software engineering, so it's a good bet.

I am blissfully unaware of even the policy of postgresql as I build
everything from source (via pkgsrc, where I maintain the qgis package as
well as postgis, proj, and a few others).  So locally the versions
match, and I tend to run consistent builds on multiple machines.

The other advice I might give the Jeroen is that if using Windows, qgis,
and postgis and running the server on the same machine is to use the
installer that includes postgis as well, because any trouble there has
probably been noticed and fixed.  But that's theoretical, as I don't use
Windows or these binary distributions.