[Qgis-user] Lat Lon Tools question

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Feb 6 10:41:45 PST 2021

Eric Sorensen <e.b.s at me.com> writes:

>   <wpt lat="35.908381976187229" lon="-106.282681999728084">
>     <ele>2262.188964999999826</ele>

> The labels appear as expected, except one small problem.  I know the points are in UTM zone 13S, yet the label shows zone 13N.
>
> Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong.

That latitude is north, and in New Mexico.  Why do you think it's zone
13S?

<pause to read>

Beware of the confusion between grid zones from MGRS, not technically
part of UTM, and UTM north/south.  See

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system#Notation

So it seems the UTM output uses S and N -- which is what I would expect
for straight UTM without a MGRS flavor.

If you moved north, you could be in 13T, from 40-48 degrees, and not
have this issue, but then you'd have more snow :-)