[Qgis-user] Lat Lon Tools question

Hernán De Angelis variablestarlight at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 10:55:37 PST 2021

On 2021-02-06 19:50, David Strip wrote:
> On 2/6/2021 11:33 AM, chris hermansen wrote:
>>
>> Your lat long 35,-106 are far west in the northern hemisphere.
>> Therefore the UTM zone is 13N not 13S.
>>
>> This is somewhere near Memphis Tennessee if I am not wrong.
>>
> Actually, that's pretty close to me. It's in Los Alamos, NM. (I'm
> about 75 miles WNW).
>
> There is some confusion about the naming of UTM zones. According to
> Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system#UTM_zone>,
> the latitude bands are not part of the UTM description, but rather
> from the MGRS. Nonetheless, UTM grid references are sometimes given,
> creating the ambiguity between 13S meaning latitude band S vs. meaning
> a UTM coordinate south of the equator. In the case of the coordinates
> given here, 13N means zone 13 north, and is not a latitude band
> reference.

I was writing an answer about this but David did it faster.

There is more than one confusion here. As David writes, the OP was
referring to latitude bands, N vs S, that have no relation to the
hemispheres. Just an unfortunate coincidence.

Zone 13N (not 13 North, but band N) has a limit on the Equator (0° -
8°N). The coordinates shown are on 13S (32°N - 40°N).

Thos who have access to it, check the map in page 62 of Snyder (Map
projections - a working manual)

/H.