[Qgis-user] Lat Lon Tools question

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 09:56:33 PST 2021

Calvin and list,

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 6:35 AM C Hamilton <adenaculture at gmail.com> wrote:

> I should have jumped in on this conversation over the weekend especially
> since I am the author of Lat Lon Tools. but all who responded have properly
> addressed the problems with UTM and especially with how MGRS got mixed in
> with UTM and the confusion with N & S. What Lat Lon Tools provides is the
> standard UTM coordinates without the MGRS latitude bands. I have been
> considering adding another function that provides the alternative UTM with
> MGRS latitude bands.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to present these two
> different UTM versions that helps to avoid ambiguity, please let me know.

A suggestion, yes.

This site https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/utm/quick_guide doesn't make
it completely obvious that they are talking about MGRS.  Moreover it makes
demonstrably false claims like

The 10S is the Grid Zone Designation you are in. *The Grid Zone is
> necessary to make the coordinates unique over the entire globe*. (my
> emphasis here).

This site https://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/wgs-84-utm-zone-10s/
makes the use of N and S as zones north of the equator and zones south of
the equator completely clear, but doesn't mention MGRS.

Not to mention the Wikipedia article quoted awhile back in this
conversation, which refers to both in an unclear fashion.

So my suggestion to you is that you make it clear that you are referring to
UTM Zones as described by the spatialreference.org site and not UTM Grid
Zone Designations (or MGRS if you like) as described by maptools.com.  You
may even want to be explicit in saying that there are only N and S
designators in UTM Zones and they refer to metres north of the equator vs
metres north of the -80th parallel.

You could call the version you have right now "UTM Zones" and the version
you might develop "UTM Grid Zone Designations".  Or maybe the latter as
"UTM MGRS".

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.