[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.18.0 and QGIS 3.14.4 (LTR) packages released and OSGeo4W reboot

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 10:41:04 PST 2021

Hi Jürgen

Great - thanks a lot for all your efforts!

As for PDAL / point clouds, during the development the initial requirement
for PDAL 2.2 has been later dropped to PDAL >= 1.7:
https://github.com/hobu/untwine/commit/5d83f32f81aa461a9b12f1084197aa7af5f8ec19

The current windows standalone QGIS installer is currently unable to open
LAS/LAZ files, which is confusing to users... Would it be possible to
compile QGIS with PDAL 1.8 (which is already included in osge4w packages) ?
There should be hopefully no code changes necessary. Howard says PDAL 1.8
is quite old and has some bugs, but that's still better than no LAS/LAZ
support at all :-)

Regards
Martin