[Qgis-user] Performance problems with the ogr file-gdb driver

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:00:14 PST 2021

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 23:44, Thomas Struller
<thomas.struller at lga-geo.de> wrote:

> Hallo List,
>
> since installing QGis 3.16.3 and now continuing 3.18 i have serious performance problems when using the OGR file-gdb Driver.
>
> When i use the ogr file-gdb driver QGis becomes very slow. Not only when I try to edit a file geodatabase, even when i zoom in or out or try to change from the layer-view to the browser-view.
>
> On start up QGis now needs minutes to scan „former project connections“. Is it possible to avoid this scan on startup?
>
> We have a mixed enviroment with arcgis installations and qgis. Sometimes i have to edit a filegeodatabase.
>
> I’m on windows 10 pro, amd ryzen 4750, 32 GB
>
> Does anyone have the same experiences? Is there a solution besides uninstalling the ogr-file-gdb driver?

You could go into Settings - Options - GDAL - Vector Drivers and
disable the filegdb driver whenever you're not actively editing a gdb
file. I.e. use the stable, optimised openfilegdb driver most of the
time and only switch to the filegdb driver when you have a specific
need to use it.

The GDAL driver page for the FileGDB driver lists a whole lot of known
issues with that driver, which can't be addressed by anyone except for
ESRI (as they come from the underlying ESRI SDK). I don't see any
likelihood that this driver can/will be improved in the future.

In the long term, there's two reasonable solutions for this setup that I see:
1. With the improved Geopackage compatibility that recent ArcGIS Pro
versions bring you may have luck in moving your arcgis workflows away
from gdb files and to gpkg, which of course work great in QGIS and
other non-esri applications.
2. If funding is available, there's a good chance that edit support
can be added to the open source openfilegdb GDAL driver. While this
hasn't yet been tested, the gdb format is sufficiently reverse
engineered and understood well enough to make this a good possibility.

Nyall