[Qgis-user] Snapping tools really slow

Paul Wittle paul.wittle at dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Thu Jan 21 08:59:20 PST 2021

Hi,

I've been using version 3.10 and 3.16 and I notice that enabling snapping is extremely slow and oddly significantly slower on 3.16 than 3.10. We thought it might be downloading the dataset on screen but discovered the data is back from the database within seconds and the delay is because QGIS is building an index.

Why is it so inefficient and is there anything that can be done to get better performance?

It is really slow and we are trying to transfer users from MapInfo / ESRI so they will not like the performance at the moment.

To be clear the data has a primary key, spatial indices and all is of good quality. As I say the data downloads and displays within seconds on the map; is it because I've selected snapping to segment as well as vertex?

Thanks,

Paul Wittle
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6F016.C23D1CA0]<https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/>
Business Solutions Analyst (GIS)
ICT Operations
Dorset Council
01305 228473 <tel:01305%20228473%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20>
dorsetcouncil.gov.uk<https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk>

[cid:image002.png at 01D6F016.C23D1CA0]<https://www.facebook.com/DorsetCouncilUK>
[cid:image003.png at 01D6F016.C23D1CA0]<https://instagram.com/DorsetCouncilUK>
[cid:image004.png at 01D6F016.C23D1CA0]<https://twitter.com/DorsetCouncilUK>

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may contain unclassified but sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Dorset Council. Dorset Council does not accept service of documents by fax or other electronic means. Virus checking: Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that this electronic communication and its attachments whether encoded, encrypted or otherwise supplied are free from computer viruses, Dorset Council accepts no liability in respect of any loss, cost, damage or expense suffered as a result of accessing this message or any of its attachments. For information on how Dorset Council processes your information, please see www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/416433