[Qgis-user] differences measuring area with field calculator and plugin geometry calculator

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 10:28:06 PST 2021

Hi,

One uses the ellipsoidal area based on the CRS and one does not (or uses
a different formulas for the ellipsoidal area).  Go to the field
calculator and generate temporary fields.   In the field calculator use
the following formulat

$area  : (Ellipsoidal area)

area($geometry) : (non ellipsoidal area based on the geometry. Results
may be weird if your file is in Long-Lat but they should correspond to
your numbers.)

I would use  $area

Nicolas

On 2021-01-25 1:01 p.m., Azzurra Lentini wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I calculated the area of a shape file polygon with 2 different tools:
> the standard one from field calculator and the other method using a
> plugin "geometry calculator".
>  Do you know why I obtained 2 different results?
> 10144312,54 square meter
> 10148071,71 square meter
>
> I am using Qgis 3.10 with grass and in the plugin I set up to use CRS
> of the project.
>
> Thanks, Azzurra
>
> --
> Lecturer GIS University "Roma Tre"
> Consultant Environmental Risk Prevention and Hydrogeology
> AZZURRA LENTINI
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Italy Mobile Tel.: **(39) 338 24 40 676
> SKYPE azzurrahydro
>
> *_azzurralentini at gmail.com <mailto:azzurralentini at gmail.com>_*
>
> *_azzurra.lentini at uniroma3.it <mailto:azzurra.lentini at uniroma3.it> _**__*

> *Par respect pour l'environnement,*
>
> *n'imprimez ce mail qu'en cas d'absolue nécessité*

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux