[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.18 on Suse Leap 15.2 crashes on opening older project files and on opening geotiff files

Ko van Huissteden Ko.van.Huissteden at kytalyk.nl
Fri Jun 4 06:11:42 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I moved my QGIS data a new computer and installed a new version of QGIS
3.18.

However 3.18 crashes when:

- I try to open my old .qgs project files (previous version 2.18)

- I try to open a geotiff file

Since I cannot open the older project files, I tried to create a new
project and add layer by layer. Opening shape files works, but the
raster images (geotiff) cause a crash.

I am quite desperate. I carefully checked the old qgs files with a text
editor, cannot see anything wrong.

The system is Open Suse Linux Leap 15.2.

Is there a way to import / convert from qgs to the new qgz format?
Anyone knows the cause of these crashes or a way to circumvent this kind
of deadlock?

Ko van Huissteden