[Qgis-user] Right of Way Center Lines

Thayer Young thayeray at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 08:05:50 PDT 2021

 Hi Krishna,
Depending on how authoritative a source you need:
OpenStreetMap data can be downloaded using various plugins for QGIS, I use: OSMDownloader and QuickOSM. There are many more. You can also download data from various sources listed here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/export   But the quality of the data depend on the locality and how many people are actively editing the data, if you are looking at large urban areas it should be good, if you are looking at a rural areas, maybe not. In the US much of the OSM roads data came from bulk imports of TIGER line files from the US Census, and updated from there. More and more these days large companies are editing the data, like Amazon, Apple, etc.. You will have to teach yourself how to filter out the roads from all of the other lines in the OSM data. The OSMDownloader very conveniently styles the data for you if you load the layer when downloading. You can check the symbology properties to see how they filter roads. A good start is to filter by 'highway' IS NOT NULL, but from that you will want to remove paths, footways, etc..
Many local governments in the US, especially urban/suburban counties have their own municipal centerlines that they maintain and distribute. Some states, collect and distribute the data for the counties. Try a web search for the county/state name and "GIS" data or "centerlines". The US Census produces centerlines for the entire US, but municipal data is probably more authoritative. For example TIGER had an off by one problem, where street names were often attached to the next line over from the correct line. Not sure if those have all been corrected or not.

You can also try searching ArcGIS Online.
   Wherever you go please read the licensing details for the data.
-Thayer