[Qgis-user] QGIS Server, Lizmap / OpenLayer, QGIS2Web

Gerald Kogler geraldo at servus.at
Wed Jun 30 07:02:11 PDT 2021

Hi,

qgis2web exports a static version of your QGIS project to web using
OpenLayers or Leaflet as webmap technologies. It gives you some options
on export, furthermore you could take the exported code and customize it
furthermore. It produces pure HTML+JS+CSS so you could host it on any
server.

One limitation is that all your data is exported as GeoJSON, so it's
only suitable for limited amount of data as loading of big files could
be quite slow on web.

QGIS Server needs a more powerful server infrastructure as you have to
install QGIS Server package with all it's dependencies. It has the big
advantage that it serves QGIS projects with all it's symbology exactly
as they are shown on desktop. But you have to code your own web viewer,
for example using OpenLayers.

LizMap uses QGIS Server but offers you the hosting so you don't have to
care about server setup and maintenance and the web map viewer based on
OpenLayers.

Hope that helps
Gerald