[Qgis-user] Lidar download

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:11:01 PST 2021

Hi,

If you want to create contour lines, you will need a Lidar data point and then create a DEM from which you will extract contour lines. (That’s the most common way of do it!)

 LiDAR is new in QGIS and i’am not sure what files formats are supported yet.  I had trouble with the current version.  It did show support for a json file format but I expect the las/laz format support will pop up once the bugs are worked out.  In the mean while, I would use CloudCompare (OpenSource) to read the cloud and create the DEM.  Then, you could import the DEM into QGIS to extract the contour lines.

If you want us to propose à data sets, then, I suggest you give us an idea of where you are working.  LiDar data is currently spars depending on the country and area.  You may get lucky as more open data is being produced every day.

 I may suggest the lastool (openlaso) user list.  They have good knowledge of lidar data sources.  Lastool is a suit of tool to work with LiDar.  Some tools are OpenSource and some are not.  Read the individual license so you don’t violate the licenses.

Good luck

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux