[Qgis-user] Do GPX files contain CRS information?

Garth Fletcher garth at jacqcad.com
Fri Mar 5 14:20:40 PST 2021

On 3/5/21 3:00 PM, qgis-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
> On 05.03.21 06:02, jeremy benwell wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering if GPX files contain CRS information? I saved some
>> waypoints in my garmin gps and then used GPSBabel to upload those waypoints
>> to my computer and create a GPX file. The map datum on my gps was set to
>> GDA 94. Does my GPX file contain the CRS that my GPS was set to when I
>> saved the waypoints (i.e. GDA 94) and if so do I need to make sure my QGIS
>> project CRS is set to GDA 94 also?
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

The headers in .gpx files from my Garmin eTrex 20 reference
   <http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd>

That file states:
  "GPX schema version 1.1 - For more information on GPX and this schema,
   visit http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp GPX uses the following
   conventions: all coordinates are relative to the WGS84 datum. All
   measurements are in metric units."

Other than that reference, my .gpx files do not contain any CRS info.

I believe that the .gpx coordinates always use the WGS84 datum
(EPSG:4326) and that there is no way to change that in the .gpx file.

See <https://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp> for details.

Cordially,
--
Garth Fletcher