[Qgis-user] Trimble GeoXT 2005 Accuracy

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 15:17:28 PST 2021

Hi,
I don’t currently have enough internet to check out the unit but I imagine this is a single band unit with an onboard antenna.  I imagine you are using it in “point and shoot mode” or static mode where you are not taking measurements over a long period  time, nor are you using a second unit for correction or doing any kind of post processing.  If this is the case, you are getting a very good reading!

Getting a systematic error in the same area (NW) would indicate you are getting a bad satellite coverage or that perhaps, you have a obstacles.

Make sure you have a clear sky, that the unit has been working for 10 to 20 minutes before the reading, that the satellites are well distributed and that you are picking up up 4 or more (8 or more is better).  Take multiple reading on the same point over a long period (you can average out the positions) make sure you don’t have another unit close by.  Using satellite from other constellation (like the Russian gps) can make thing more problematic some times.

This is good for static mode where you just point and shoot and get a instant reading.  Anything under 5 m with a 200$ to 1000$ unit is good.  Anything under 1m with a 1500$ to 4000$ unit is good.

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux