[Qgis-user] Trimble GeoXT 2005 Accuracy

kirk kirk at nortekresources.com
Tue Mar 9 04:15:49 PST 2021

Hi Springer.Thanks for providing the high level of detail.I assume the comparison of field units occurred at separate times or even days?In map 1, where were you standing in relation to the internal antenae. Your body will block and or distort radio signals.  It is good practice to set the field unit on a tripod or rock and move away from the unit while observing. Additionally, how did you set up the external antenae when you used it (tripod, pack pack?).I am not sure what the marine beacon accuracy is as we used them in eastern Canada during the days of selective availability.  WAAS may be totally useless in this application as the system is designed for coarse aircraft navigation to get down to 200' of a runway.Have a look at the Canadian Active Control system. Perhaps you are close to one if the federal or western deformation array  sites. You can download the historical data for these sites which can include broadcast emphemerifes and clock corrections. I do not know if these sites are implemented in PFO. I assume you can import into PFO and DGPS. Kirk SchmidtSent from my Galaxy
    I'm resending this without the map as there is a size limit.  The moderator may let it through, I hope . . . .

    Hi Nicolas, thanks for your observations.  I'll try to answer your questions, please see the attached map, especially Map A:
    Note that my previous email contained information for Map B; Map A is based on the  Municipal Cadastre  (NAD83 UTM zone 10N) and illustrates the problem as well.  Other locations based on Provincial Monuments and/or the Municipal cadastre (not illustrated here) have yielded similar results.

      How many “known” points have you tested?

        2 in this case, Maps A and B
        Also several other locations with similar results

       How where those point position calculated.

        From the Municipal cadastre, visible in Map A

      Make sure the coordinates are in the right CRS

        NAD 83 UTM 10N used throught.  See workflow in previous email

       When converting from the monument’s CRS to NAD83 UTM zone 10N, are you using the correct grid files?

        [No monuments in this example] These were brought into QGIS from the Municipal GCM database CSV (NAD83(CSRS) 3.0.0.BC.1.CRD) and reprojected by QGIS to EPSG:26910 - NAD83 / UTM zone 10N
        Presumably QGIS would choose the correct grid files

        Municipal Cadastre is  NAD83 UTM zone 10Np, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

      Find a geodesic point that is in the middle of a field or on the side of a highway with no obstacles.

        Map A is open sky

      Make sur your observations will be done when the constellation is well distributed in the sky

        As you probably know, TerraSync provides for PDOP, HDOP, SNR and Horizon masks to preclude collecting poor quality positions.  These were set towards the "Precision" end of the scale

      What post processing techniques are you using? How far is the base station from your unit?

        Real time was SBAS or RTCM; Post processing using the Pathfinder Office differential correction engine, baseline about 30 km

      How long are the observations? Have you tried other methods of post processing like PPP?

        Logging interval is 5 sec; 33 to 2037 positions per point
        Did not use PPP.  This is a test of mapping best practices, not geodesy

      Have you contacted Trimble?

        Yes, no response

      Have you looked on there site to see if there is a software update (firmware) for the unit or the post processing software?

        Yes, receiver firmware is the latest, PFO and Terrasync are older but compatible

    Thanks Nicolas.  If I have missed something, I hope someone can point it out, I've tried to cover all the bases based on my training and experience.
    -----
Cheers, Spring

    On 08/Mar/2021 06:40, Nicolas Cadieux