[Qgis-user] make place names larger in OpenStreetMap

Sebastian Gutwein bas at rdgland.com
Thu Mar 11 20:21:09 PST 2021

Jeremy,
This is a common thing to happen when exporting maps using a WM(T)S or
Tile layer
such as Open Street Map. This is due to the fact that they are designed for
the DPI of your monitor (probably ~ 96dpi) rather than DPI of your exported
map (probably ~300dpi).
If you reduce the DPI of your exported map  in your Layout window by
setting your output resolution under *layout>properties>export settings* to
something like 96dpi. This will make the labels larger but you will
sacrifice the resolution of the output.

If you are using 3.16 you can use the Maptiler plugin to load a vector tile
version of OpenStreetMap which will give you control over the styles. This
means you can make all of the adjustment to label size in the style tab of
the vector tile. If you are printing at 300 dpi make them 3 times larger
than you think you need.   They will look way too big in QGIS but when you
print them they will be the right size.

-Bas