[Qgis-user] Do GPX files contain CRS information?

kirk kirk at nortekresources.com
Wed Mar 17 16:59:25 PDT 2021

Thanks for the research Nicolas. I think I will save this for a rainy day or when an issue comes up.Kirk SchmidtSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Nicolas Cadieux <njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com> Date: 2021-03-17  7:14 p.m.  (GMT-04:00) To: Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com>, stewartbholt at gmail.com Cc: qgis-user <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Do GPX files contain CRS information?
    Hi,
    This last question brought me down a rabbit hole that took me a
      while to find (at least partially).  Of course, this is far away
      from the original question of "Do GPX files contain CRS
      information?".  The answer to that was no.  The datum is WGS84 (in
      it's most current iteration, or WGS84(G1762).  Transformation
      parameters to and from ITRF have been published and can be found

      https://confluence.qps.nl/qinsy/latest/en/world-geodetic-system-1984-wgs84-182618391.html#id-.WorldGeodeticSystem1984(WGS84)v9.1-WGS84realizations
      This file contain multiple transformations with sources
https://confluence.qps.nl/qinsy/files/latest/en/182618383/182618384/1/1579182881000/ITRF_Transformation_Parameters.xlsx
      This contains info on WGS84 and NAD83
        https://mcraymer.github.io/geodesy/pubs/nad83_agu2007spr.pdf
      https://www.unoosa.org/documents/pdf/icg/2018/icg13/wgd/wgd_12.pdf

    Other question that were raised: What are the other reference
      frames used by the various GNSS services:

      https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273117720308292#!

        "The TRFs realized by the GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and
          BeiDou-2 and BeiDou-3 broadcast ephemerides are the orbital
          realizations of WGS 84 (G1762′), PZ90.11, GTRF19v01, and BDCS
          respectively."
        More info here.
          https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/Reference_Frames_in_GNSS

    This document made a comparison comparison between broadcast
      reference frames and ITRF:

      http://www.epncb.eu/_newseventslinks/workshops/EPNLACWS_2017/pdf/06_Open_Session/04_Broadcast-Precise.pdf

        "Reference frames:
          •GPS and Galileo broadcast reference frames are aligned with
          ITRF: translations are less than 0.10 m and rotations are less
          than 2 milli-second of arc
          •GLONASS M broadcast reference frame is offset to ITRF by at
          most 0.27 ±0.04 m in Y and maximum rotation is  4 ±2
          milli-second of arc about Y.
          •GLONASS K broadcast reference frame is offset to ITRF by at
          most 1.06 ±0.17 m in Y and maximum rotation is  19 ±2
          milli-second of arc about X.
          •BeiDoubroadcast reference frame is offset to ITRF by at most
          0.26 ±0.18 in X and Y, and maximum rotation is 2 ±1
          milli-second of arc about Z."

    Then there are questions pertaining to SBAS around the world:

      https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/library/factsheets/media/SBAS_Worldwide_QFact.pdf

        It state the various services

          Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS)
          European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS)
          Multi-functional Transport Satellite (MTSAT) Satellite
            Based Augmentation System (MSAS) (Japan)
          GPS Aided Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO) Augmented
            Navigation (GAGAN) (India)
          System of Differential Correction and Monitoring (SDCM)
            Russia
          Korean Augmentation Satellite System (KASS)
          BeiDou Satellite Based Augmentation System (BDSBAS)

      Also found this
        https://www.gps.gov/technical/ps/2008-WAAS-performance-standard.pdf
      And this https://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/

    Finally, there was the question of the introduction of new
      reference frames when a SBAS services was used.  I was skeptical
      of this but you guys are right.  Using a WAAS service does
      introduce a new reference frame as the "... GEO satellites do not
      belong to any satellite positioning service (e.g. GPS, GLONASS),
      ephemeris for those satellites are not externally available.
      Therefore, it is the SBAS that is in charge of providing the user
      with the GEO ephemeris. Keep in mind that all components are
      expressed in ECEF reference coordinates and the time offset is
      with respect to SBAS Network time (SNT)."
(https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/The_EGNOS_SBAS_Message_Format_Explained#SBAS_broadcast_data)
    Same information is stated here
      (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273117720308292#!)

      "Also, note that the methodology and results reported here are
        only valid for direct, real-time unaugmented GNSS applications.
        Any form of augmentation including all types of differential
        positioning, Assisted GPS, or specialized augmentation, such as
        the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA’s) Wide Area
        Augmentation System, immediately introduce an alternate TRF with
        its own relationship to ITRF2014."

    And here
(https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/The_EGNOS_SBAS_Message_Format_Explained#SBAS_broadcast_data)

        "Message type 9
        Message type 9 contains the information about the GEO
          navigation.
          As GEO satellites do not belong to any satellite positioning
          service (e.g. GPS, GLONASS), ephemeris for those satellites
          are not externally available. Therefore, it is the SBAS that
          is in charge of providing the user with the GEO ephemeris.
          Keep in mind that all components are expressed in ECEF
          reference coordinates and the time offset is with respect to
          SBAS Network time (SNT)."

    Finally, I tried to "“If you can find a clear statement of what
      frame any SBAS uses, I'd love to see a URL/pointer.” I found these
      documents.

      https://www.gsa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/brochure_os_2017_v6.pdf

        This one talks about the EGNOS reference frame

        On page 20, "Strictly speaking, the time and position
          information that are derived by an SBAS receiver that applies
          the EGNOS corrections are not referenced to the GPS Time and
          the WGS84 reference systems as defined in the GPS Interface
          Specification. Specifically, the position coordinates and time
          information are referenced to separate reference systems
          established by the EGNOS system, namely the EGNOS Network Time
          (ENT) timescale and the EGNOS Terrestrial Reference Frame
          (ETRF). However, these specific EGNOS reference systems are
          maintained closely aligned to their GPS counterparts and, for
          the vast majority of users, the differences between these two
          time/terrestrial reference frames are negligible."
        P 22 "
          The ETRF is periodically aligned to the ITRF2000 in order to
          maintain the difference between the positions respectively
          computed in both frames below a few centimetres. The same can
          be said about the WGS84 (WGS84 (G1150) aligned to ITRF2000).
          Conversion of ETRF data into WGS84 (G1150) is obtained by
          applying the offset that exists at a certain epoch between the
          ETRF and the ITRF2000 to the ITRF2000 to WGS84 (G1150) frame.
          Note that currently these last two reference frames are almost
          equivalent (offsets minor than 2cm). This means that, for the
          vast majority of applications, it can be considered that the
          positions computed by an EGNOS receiver are referenced to
          WGS84 and can be used with maps or geographical databases in
          WGS84."

    For the other SBAS services, I found this documents

      https://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/11/4/411 : Evaluation of Orbit,
        Clock and Ionospheric Corrections from Five Currently Available
        SBAS L1Services: Methodology and Analysis

        They state: "In addition, SBAS-derived and IGS precise
          orbits are formally referred to different reference frames.
          The current IGS precise orbits are referred to IGS14, which is
          aligned with the latest International Terrestrial Reference
          Frame (ITRF) called ITRF2014 [20].  WAAS adopts WGS84 as
            the coordinate reference system to broadcast satellite orbit
            corrections [21], and the most recent WGS84
          realization(G1762) agrees with ITRF2008 at the centimeter
          level [22]. As presented in the International Terrestrial
          Reference Service (ITRS) website
          (http://itrf.ensg.ign.fr/trans_para.php), the differences
          between ITRF2008 and ITRF2014 are at the
            millimeter-level. EGNOS reference frame, named EGNOS
              Terrestrial Reference Frame (ETRF),
            is periodically aligned on ITRF within a consistency of a
            few centimeters [23]. We cannot find any official documentation
            or information about the reference frames adopted for the MSAS,
            GAGAN, and SDCM. However, an alignment to WGS84 can be
            expected since the requirements of
            international air navigation must be fulfilled [5].
            Therefore, the differences between reference
            frames mentioned above would not exceed a few centimeters,
            which can be neglected in the accuracy assessment of SBAS-derived orbits."

    Hope this helps if you are crazy enough to read it!
    Cheers.
    Nicolas

    On 2021-03-06 10:19 p.m., Nicolas