[Qgis-user] First steps with 3D Scan Data?

Kirk Schmidt kirk at nortekresources.com
Fri Mar 26 06:03:16 PDT 2021

Hi Bernd:

Just a clarification on LAStools.  The library has open as well as
licensed algorithms. Typically, the basic functionality is available for
free and implemented in QGIS.  The advanced tools are available through
licensing.  Rapidlasso GmbH also developed the laz format which is an
efficient compression standard to make large datasets/point clouds more
manageable.

PDAL and R can be used to process the data but if your data is
compressed, you would have to use  the unlicensed Laszip routine
available in QGIS 3.x to convert the data to an uncompressed las format.

Kirk

Kirk Schmidt, MScF, BScF, RPF
General Manager
Nortek Resource Solutions Inc.