[Qgis-user] NDVI resolution

Fielding, Eric J (US 329A) eric.j.fielding at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat May 8 12:27:12 PDT 2021

Neels,

The Worldview-3 satellite has different resolutions in the different bands. There is a panchromatic band that has 31 cm resolution, but the multispectral bands have 124 cm (1.2 m) resolution. You are probably seeing objects with the panchromatic band, but NDVI has to use the coarser multispectral bands.

Some of the Worldview data products use the panchromatic band to "sharpen" the multispectral images, but the multispectral data is fundamentally four times coarser than the panchromatic bands. If the multispectral bands have been resampled (interpolated) to the 31 cm pixel size to match the panchromatic band, they will be fuzzier.

++Eric