[Qgis-user] Batch Aerial Imagery GeoReferencing

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Mon Nov 1 06:28:07 PDT 2021

Just to add to this, QGIS supports using raster images for points with data
driven properties, so with some expression-fu and native tools you can get
decent approximations for images from just exif data. I have wanted to
build a basic template project for the solutions hub but haven't found the
time yet. One issue is that qgis cannot currently distort or "warp" the
raster to the relevant affine parameters, which is where the georeferencing
tool may be used, perhaps using a model. Sadly, scripting the georeferencer
is not that easy, however QGIS does provide a "generate gdal script" for
supported transformations.

There is, however, a community plugin for doing much of this here:
https://verticalphotoplacer.github.io/VerticalPhotoPlacer/

It's a bit clunky to set up and uses external dependencies like exif tools
(3.22 now has a full set of exif expressions so this plugin might be
updated to remove that requirement soon), but it should be functional for
basic usage as I understand the original query. Just be sure to read the
docs.

I'm also not sure how well this would handle large files, you'd probably
need to chunk your data into reasonably sized projects or individual
flights etc.

Just a note that this is in reference to defining and referencing
"footprints" from airstations mostly, although that plugin does provide
some limited visual tools like attempts at mosaicing etc. Pix4D/ AgiSoft
and other commercial software is likely to give you similar results for
mosaics etc from ODM and other SFM tools. If you want to orthorectify you
may be better off just using MicMac directly from commandline, or if you
want to georeference you can simply loop through files with gdal, ossim, or
similar tools.

There are also tools like https://docs.dronedb.app/ for generating image
footprints etc from exif and other tools, although I had pretty limited
success using that toolkit.

Regards