[Qgis-user] LTR Support Improvements for 2022

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 01:04:06 PST 2021

Hi Marco -

First of all, I would like to thank you and the PSC for keeping the
concept of LTR. I was worried after the discussion on developer list
recently.

My personal opinion - based on empirical observations of QGIS usage  and
as a member of the steering committee of the Danish QGIS user group - is
that a vast majority of QGIS user (at least in Denmark) is using a
recent version of QGIS LTR as their primary QGIS system.  And the
adventurous users or users in need have a parallel installation of a
later, non-LTR QGIS on the same pc.

It would be detrimental to the effort of expanding or even keeping the
QGIS user base if you abandoned the LTR concept.

Regarding your questions:

  * The reduction of number of 12  yearly point releases to 4 has no
    practical disadvantages and will reduce the work effort of getting
    the releases out of the door. I don't know a single organisation
    that install all the point releases. 4 is fine.

  * The saved time could - and probably will - be used for more
    extensive testing the 4 releases. This will result in overall better
    releases with fewer errors than before.

  * And - again - my experience is, that the vast, vast majority of QGIS
    users is on Windows. It makes sense to maximize the pre-release
    testing effort on this platform.

  * AFAIK, my installed QGIS is communicating with QGIS.org using the
    newsfeed facility. You can turn it off if you want to.  I don't see
    anything problematic in delivering information of the operating
    system type together with the QGIS version.

So a big +1 and thumbs-up on all 4 proposals.

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen