[Qgis-user] mapping bus routes

Sam S ssnellings at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 15:27:19 PDT 2021

I built a number of bus maps in the past and kept everything inside QGIS
using offsets in symbology. It worked because it was a simple dataset where
the number of routes sharing paths was very minimal, so I just styled each
'unique' segment individually. I also did not have a problem with aligning
with the street pattern below (David's noted issue) because I styled the
routes larger than the street symbology so any 'incorrect' alignment
between the routes and the streets was hidden by the larger route symbology
on top.

With a more complicated set of routes I would have probably graduated to a
workflow that included a graphics application as the final step to make
manual tweaks.

At a certain point of complexity/geographic size most transit maps stop
being truly scalable and become more abstract. A good example of the debate
is NYC's vignelli vs hertz. However, most transit maps (in terms of
'quantity of maps') are for small operators where scale can be maintained -
so any automated tool might not 'work' for very large not-to-scale systems
but would be the most useful to those with the fewest resources (small
systems).

Anyways, tough problem.

Sam