[Qgis-user] Qgis-user Digest, Vol 188, Issue 30

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 23:57:08 PDT 2021

Hi Peter,

> From: Peter Cramer <peter at websurge.com.au>
>
> I have a very basic question about qgis features. Thanks in advance for
> any answers.
>

> The scenario is that we need to geo locate 6,000 machines in various
> locations throughout Australia.
>
> I person will be onsite at each machine in the exact position of the
> machine.
>
> We want to create a gps position for each machine and save it or record /
> copy it

I would suggest using CyberTracker <https://www.cybertracker.org/> for this
job. There might be other applications doing the same thing, but the nice
thing about CyberTracker is that you can set it up to record exactly the
information you want to record (e.g. computer name or IP address or take
picture) and afterwards import the data from all the different GPS devices
to a single file/database which can be exported to a .shp file (basic
vector file format used by QGIS).

> Create a list of the 6000 machines in a data base
>
> Use this database to display machine placements on maps at level – country
> – state – suburb and or postcode
>
> Select a single machine and see a description of the location and or
> actual zoomed in map vision of the machine location
>
> Zoom out or in to different levels of geographic area size to see all
> machines within the screen view

QGIS can do all of this. You can either have that information (country,
state, suburb and postal code) in CyberTracker and record it when you take
the GPS point, or afterwards add it to the attribute file (.dbf) of your
shape file (it can also be stored in a PostgreSQL (PostGIS) database from
QGIS, although I have never used this and don't know how easy it is to set
up).

> Second priority level of information
>
> Add additional information to each machine. E.g model number and type of
> machine displayed in map via hover or similar function

Yes, by editing and adding new columns to the attribute table of your shape
file; easily done.

> Select State – suburb or postcode to view all machines withing that
> specific area.

You can select on any column the values you want and zoom to selected
values in QGIS.

> Build a visual presentation of maps for selected specific areas as above
> point.

Yes

> I am thinking that if qgis can do these basic things we can add to our
> wish list of features later.

It can.

Cheers,
Chavoux Luyt