[Qgis-user] Configuring QGIS server on Ubuntu 20.4

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 12:25:45 PDT 2021

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that: we have even recently spent a considerable
amount of time (and money, because it was financed with a grant) to rewrite
the QGIS Server documentation with detailed information about deployment
[1], we have clearly missed the goal if you couldn't find what you needed
in these pages.

It would be useful to know what exactly were your problems and what did you
try to do.

A common problem with server deployments is that there are multiple ways of
doing things, it really depends on what you need, for example we are now
commonly using docker containers (there are many out there that provide a
QGIS Server working installation almost without the need to manually
configure anything).

Also, I tend to use nginx, but apache is totally fine too.

[1]
https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/server_manual/getting_started.html#installation-on-debian-based-systems

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 8:24 PM Mats Elfström <mats.elfstrom at giskraft.se>
wrote:

> Hi!
> I am setting up a Geodata stack. I have installed PostgreSQL/Postgis and
> Geoserver under Tomcat9 and FME:d a lot of data to PostGIS. All is up and
> running.
> Then I installed QGIS 3.20. No problems so far. Then I decided to try QGIS
> server as an alternative to Geoserver. But I am having trouble configuring
> QGIS server, or Apache2 rather.
> Over the past 5-6 years, I have spent more time and energy than I care to
> mention trying to make QGIS server run on Windows servers. Asking for
> advice on those occasions, I have more than once got the advice to use
> Linux instead, since no QGIS developers really know Windows servers. And
> Linux would be much easier.
> Fair enough. So now I am on Ubuntu, sudoing this and that and it works
> pretty well.
> Apart from QGIS server. I find the same mess of incomplete or
> contradictory instructions. No wonder QGIS server is under-used.
> If Linux(Ubuntu) is so simple, how come no one has put together a working
> script to configure and deploy QGIS server on a standard setup?
> I am most disappointed, having spent yet 5 hrs that I will never get back
> on QGIS server.
>
> Regards, Mats.E
>
> --
>

> *GisKraft*, Geodatakonsult
>
> Mats Elfström, Marsvinsholms stationsväg 80, 271 93 Ystad, Sweden
> tel: +46 70 595 39 35 / www.giskraft.se

Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net
ItOpen:   www.itopen.it