[Qgis-user] lastools wine Mac OS Catalina / Monterey AND QGIS

Maria Shinoto maria.shinoto at zaw.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Feb 18 02:58:46 PST 2022

Hi,

I am running Mac OS Catalina in Intel Mac and QGIS 3.20, I would like to use lastools in the toolbox and thought this should be OK now with wine on Catalina.

I have downloaded lastools and installed them in a path that might not be OK:

	/Benutzer/username/gis/LAStools/bin/

This directory is stored in the options of the Preferences for LAStools (which are activated).

I also installed wine64, and I got the path to the wine64 install from the terminal command "which wine64"

	/usr/local/bin/

I started wine64 via terminal, got the warning from Mac security and let it open anyway. That went OK the first time.

Then I started to test lasinfo, asking for a histogram of classifications. I have two classes in my .laz file.

Here is the error message I get

*****
 QGIS-Version: 3.20.1-Odense
QGIS-Codeversion: ebabe09524
Qt-Version: 5.15.2
Python-Version: 3.8.7
GDAL-Version: 3.2.3
GEOS-Version: 3.9.1-CAPI-1.14.2
PROJ-Version: Rel. 6.3.2, May 1st, 2020
PDAL-Version: 2.2.0 (git-version: Release)
Verarbeite Algorithmus…
Algorithmus lasinfo startet…
Eingabeparameter:
{ 'ADDITIONAL_OPTIONS' : '', 'COMPUTE_DENSITY' : True, 'CPU64' : True, 'GUI' : False, 'HISTO1' : 5, 'HISTO1_BIN' : 1, 'HISTO2' : 0, 'HISTO2_BIN' : 1, 'HISTO3' : 0, 'HISTO3_BIN' : 1, 'INPUT_LASLAZ' : '/Users/XXXXX/gis/source_raw/ja_pref_kag/XXXX/__lidar-testlauf-2018/200_PointData/01_las-laz/laz-1-file-combined/XXXXX.laz', 'REPAIR_BB' : False, 'REPAIR_COUNTERS' : False, 'VERBOSE' : False }

LAStools command line
/usr/local/bin//wine /Users/XXXXX/gis/LAStools/bin/lasinfo.exe -cpu64 -i "/Users/mariashinoto/gis/source_raw/ja_pref_kag/nakanihon/__lidar-testlauf-2018/200_PointData/01_las-laz/laz-1-file-combined/nakadake_2018_toki.laz" -cd -histo classification 1.0
LAStools console output
/bin/sh: /usr/local/bin//wine: Bad CPU type in executable
Execution completed in 0.04 Sekunden
Ergebnisse:
{'': None}

Lade Ergebnis Layer
Algorithmus 'lasinfo' beendet

******

It seems that the problem is that the 32bit version for wine is working, as seen in the LAStools commandline: /usr/local/bin//wine

But I checked to use the new 64bit version.

Where do I have to start to get this running?

Best,
Maria

PS Earlier last year I asked about installation of lastools in QGIS since a lot of information on the web is just confusing, the more you read. Andrea Giudiceandrea kindly suggested to file a report on the QGIS developer's site, but until now, I hesitated since I am quite sure, the problem is more on my side, and I should be sure about what to report. Seems that was right...