[Qgis-user] Rounding off QgsPointXY

Brent Wood Brent.Wood at niwa.co.nz
Sun Feb 20 21:08:20 PST 2022

I'd suggest managing your data in Postgis.

Adding a rounded geometry to your dataset becomes a pretty simple sql (assuming your data is lat/lon - just change the SRID if it isn't):

alter table mydata add column rounded_geom geometry(POINT,4326);
update mydata set rounded_geom=ST_SetSRID(ST_MakePoint(round(ST_X(geom),2),round(ST_Y(geom),2)),4326);

line 1 creates the new column, line 2 populates it with new points with coords set to the rounded coords of the original. You still have the original to compare. Or you can drop it, as you prefer.

QGIS & Postgis make an incredibly effective suite. Postgis enables not just data management and query capability, but substantial spatial analytical power,
QGIS provides visualisation, as well as additional analytical tools.

Cheers

Brent Wood

Principal Technician, Fisheries
NIWA