[Qgis-user] Readonly gpkg

pergler at gmail.com pergler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 06:10:57 PST 2022

I've packaged a number of read-only layers (e.g. contours, watercourses) for
my area of interest into one gpkg. However, QGIS writes changes to this gpkg
every time it is opened, even if the layers themselves are never edited. I
think this is related to SQLite wal journaling.

It's an annoyance since it's a large file that gets unnecessarily reuploaded
in every incremental backup, and when I'm in the field, that's sometimes
over a bad 3G cell connection.

I've tried making the gpkg read-only, which hasn't crashed anything in brief
testing and generates no warnings. However, it feels risky, and clearly QGIS
or OGR aren't fully happy, since the temporary shm and wal files don't get
deleted on exit. So I'm hesitant to continue doing this for fear of a crash
when I'm actually doing something useful.

Is there a better way to tell QGIS to not write to a gpkg in which all
layers are only being accessed read-only?

Thanks!

---

Martin Pergler