[Qgis-user] Mosaic Datasets and Raster Catalogs in qGIS

Zoltan zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri Jan 14 12:49:26 PST 2022

Hi Jason,
You just need to create a VRT.
The vrt is just that:  a virtual raster table.
Fiddle with the options and notice that you can mix rasters that have differing projection.

Test out on maybe a 100 or so Raster files and when you get the feel for it,  dump the lot in. I've had >5000 files in  one with no hassles.
Note that if you output your vrt file into the same folder as your rasters, when you recreate your vrt, it will read in your old one and go into a loop.
I logged this as a bug and was told unceremoniously that it was not a bug.

Btw, when you first load your vrt into qgis, have rendering turned off.
Then set your zoom display scales before turning rendering on again. This will stop qgis from trying to display all your tasters if you happen to be zoomed out too far.

Have fun, it works well.

Regards
Zoltan

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​