[Qgis-user] Accessing temporal controller stuff via the python console

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 13:55:43 PST 2022

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 at 07:30, Cory Albrecht <maps at hanfastolfe.com> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> While I no longer got a whole bunch of similar images, instead I got a series of partially rendered canvases in triplets. First the static, non-temporal-data layers and a few features of one of the temporal layers. Second is all the layers but no labels. Third is with the labels (including the date of the frame). Each triplet appears to be from the same time frame selected with setCurrentFrameNumber(), but the third image of the triplet shows a date that is is three items in the list after the previous one.

As you've found, saving the canvas is a fragile approach. Calling
canvas.saveAsImage() will save **whatever** is currently shown in the
canvas to an image, even if it's only a half-rendered map!

The better approach is using the QgsMapRenderer classes directly,
which allow you to render maps as images without going through the
canvas at all. This has many benefits:

- The extent, scale, and image size can all be precisely controlled,
and you aren't bound to the canvas size itself. (Of course, you could
take those extent/scale/sizes direct from the canvas if this is
behaviour you do wany)
- The map rendering can be done in a "blocking" way, so that you can
be sure that the render is completely finished before saving the image
out.
- You aren't messing with the canvas's temporal range, so after
exporting images the previous time range will still be visible and the
user's QGIS state won't be magically changed after running your
script.

Something like this should work (will need some adapting!)

   # now create an set of images so you can create an animated gif or so
   def render_time_range(map_settings, time_range):
     img = QImage(map_settings.outputSize(), map_settings.outputImageFormat())
     img.fill(map_settings.backgroundColor().rgb())

     p = QPainter()
     p.begin(img)
     map_settings.setTemporalRange(time_range)
     render = QgsMapRendererCustomPainterJob(map_settings, p)
     render.start()
     render.waitForFinished()
     p.end()
     return img

   map_settings = QgsMapSettings()
   # setup all your default map settings stuff here, e.g. scale,
extent, image size, etc
   map_settings.setLayers(iface.mapCanvas().layers())
   map_settings.setOutputSize(QSize(300, 150)) # width, height
   rect = QgsRectangle(iface.mapCanvas().fullExtent())
   map_settings.setExtent(rect)
   map_settings.setIsTemporal(True)

  for time_range in ....:
      img = render_time_range(map_settings, time_range)
      img.save( ... )