[Qgis-user] Drop the points and show only clusters

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Sun Jan 30 10:27:16 PST 2022

> krishna Ayyala
> <https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org&q=from:%22krishna+Ayyala%22>Sun,
> 30 Jan 2022 08:45:26 -0800
> <https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org&q=date:20220130>
>
> Hello,
>
> I am re-posting this question. I have a point shape with about 1000 points.
> On the map, I wish to show only those points that are within 1000ft of each
> other and drop the rest of the points.
> I have used the below formula and changed the max_distance to different
> values as mentioned above. I am herewith attaching the points shapefile
> again.
>
> overlay_nearest('Points',max_distance:=1000)

Hi Krishna,
I think there is a bug in the functionality: it seems to me the
overlay_nearest function, with the max_distance parameter, doesn't work
properly if the layer is a Shapefile.

If you export you layer in a GeoPackage or Spatialite format and use the
exported layer, then the overlay_nearest function with the max_distance
will work correctly and return the expected results.

If other user also also confirm that this issue occurs, it could be
worth to file a bug report.

Anyway, your layer is in the EPSG:3857 CRS. AFAIK the distance of the
max_distance parameter is calculated in the layer CRS Cartesian plane.
Consider that the EPSG:3857 CRS has a big linear measurement distortion
far from the equator.

Regards.

Andrea Giudiceandrea