[Qgis-user] check for coordinates in an attribute table for shapefile layer

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 00:51:01 PST 2022

Hi,
See below

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux

> Le 31 janv. 2022 à 03:09, Maria Shinoto <maria.shinoto at zaw.uni-heidelberg.de> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> I imported a .csv file with about 100 datasets and created a shapefile layer from the X and Y data.

By « dataset » I imagine you mean object like line, polygon and points? Since you only talk about x and y, I take for granted that you are talking about points.  Do you still have the original .csv file?  That would be useful.

> Then I did something stupid. I deleted some duplicates and changed the X and Y data slightly in three or four data sets, and I created a new row with one new data point and X and Y data.

I guess you moved some points around in the .shp file, created a new x and y and updated the geometry from the new x and y?  Can you use the same steps and update the geometry from the original x and y or did  these disappear when you created the shape file?

> What I did no realize is that the data in X and Y will not be accepted automatically as geo coordinates.
>
> Now I have a map without the full set of points, and I do not know the following:
>
>    1. How do I check quickly, which rows need ne geocoordinates from the X and Y columns?

If you have the original csv, you can use that remake the ordinal file, then, in the vector menu, you can substrat (difference I think, I’am not in front of a computer)  one vector file from the other.  The difference between both files will indicate what changed.  You can also regenerate the new x and y fields (like testY and testY) using the field calculator and $x and $y functions.  If you don’t have geometries, then those field will come up as empty.

>    2. When I figured which data set need updates, how do get the X and Y data into their geocoordinates and get them shown on the map.
>
> Thanks,
> Maria

I you are still stuck, we could zoom.  I am in Montreal time.
Nicolas