[Qgis-user] Dimensioning in QGIS

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:26:50 PDT 2022

Hi,

Qgis is not a CAD as you are discovering.  Others have given you good plugins and tools so I will not add to that.  You can still do “3D” as 3D objects like lines, points and polygon are supported.  You can use the 3D map windows to visualize the 3D objects and a DEM  raster or mesh layers.  I too am an archaeologist.  In the past, I have used simple 3D WKT format in a text file to make 3D outlines of trenches and survey holes. Looks like some plugins can now do that for you now.  QGIS is not quite there as a full blown CAD but it’s as good as current Commercial GIS I have worked with.  Progress has been slow but steady.

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux