[Qgis-user] points to polygons conversion

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:08:48 PDT 2022

Francesca and list,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022, 03:06 Francesca Parente via Qgis-user <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> I'd have a question I hope it doesn't sound too nonsense to you: I'm
> working on a points shapefile, which I know has been created by centroids
> of polygons- but I don't have access to polygonal areas.
> I would need to select just those in some locations and recover their
> original area within polygonal borders.
>
> Is there a chance I can get it done by having this shapefile of centroids
> only?!

Polygon centroids aren't necessarily inside polygons, so selecting
centroids that fall within other areas doesn't mean the original polygons
would also lie within those areas.

Also if you are trying to determine the proportion of the original polygons
within the other areas (the intersections of the two sets) you must have
the original polygons.

I doubt that answers achieved with only the centroids would provide any
meaningful results.

Chris