[Qgis-user] How-to-Batch_convert the Spatial resolution of a set of >100 Geotiff files from 500m to 1000m

Amal Kar akarcaz50 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 08:28:10 PDT 2022

Hello,
I am new to QGIS.
Recently i downloaded a set of MODIS Terra surface reflectance Daily data
for a fixed rectangular area of my interest (118 daily files for each of
the bands 1-4 and for years 2000-2020), using the AppEEARS tool
(NASA-USGS-LP DAAC) in geotiff format (WGS 84; LatLong).
I wanted to convert the original data in 500 m spatial resolution
(0.0041667 arc deg; 2985 col x 1671 row for each scene) to 1 km resolution
(0.00833333 arc deg; 1493 col x 836 row), so that i am able to create
Max.value (& Min. value) Composites (MVCs) for consecutive 8-Day periods at
1 km resolution and then analyse the data sets for matching with other
8-Day data series available  at 1 km resolution from Modis Terra sites.
No downloaded data from AppEEARS is automatically 'imported" to my Idrisi
software (neither geotiff, nor netCDF; same is the case with my
GlobalMapper 8.0 software also; the same formats from other sites get
converted easily). The file format could be read in my QGIS Desktop
software (ver. 3.18.2; Zurich), and then exported either in geotiff or
other formats (incl. idrisi) in whatever  resolution, etc., i chose.
Although i am doing it file by file, this is a huge back-breaking
pre-processing task.
I was thinking if there is any tool in QGIS for automatic batch processing
of the data (say, 50 or 100 at one time, once i select the "Raster
datasets" and  "add" them in the given Box under "Data Source Manager").
Presently, after adding the datafiles, i have to select one raster image at
a time and "Export" it with the desired resolution/ file format, etc. It
helps if i am able to select all the files together, give one output
resolution value and one desired file format for all the files to be
processed). It also helps if the output data file uses the same name as
given for the input file, but allows the user to provide a short prefix to
each of them (say 4-6 letters, either replacing the first 4-6 ones, or
adding to the given names).
Once i am able to pre-process the data quickly, i am thinking of trying my
QGIS for cloud removal (by providing a zero, No Data value to the cloud
pixels) and then try it for getting MVCs for consecutive 8-day periods.
Thanks for your patience, and kind regards,
amal kar.

--
Dr. Amal Kar
Former Principal Scientist and Head, Division of Natural Resources &
Email: akarcaz50 at gmail.com