[Qgis-user] Oriented Minimum Bounding Box

Jon jonr at destar.net
Fri Sep 16 10:34:03 PDT 2022

Hi Andrea,

Sorry, it was late and I was frustrated. I actually have two issues but
will send in seperate email for future reference and searches.

Issue: One Bounding Box Only
(Adding the below since I didn't fully explain myself in first email.
After some sleep, I do not think I need to iterate over every attribute
in the shape file and so I can get just one Bounding box)

1. Add shape file to QGIS
2. Open 'Processing Toolbox'
3. Select 'Oriented minimum bounding box'
4. In the window that opens, click the green arrow icon (Iterate)
5. Click the 'Run' button

I also tried using 'Minimum bounding geometry' using same steps as
above except in the 'Field' box choose one of the attributes. This
creates one 'Bounding geometry' layer but it is also missing all of the
rest of the data that would be in my 'Attribute Table'.

If I don't click on the green arrow (iterate) button, it will create
one 'Bounding Box' layer, this is what I want.