[Qgis-user] Technical specifications

Sébastien LAGARDE s.lagarde at insight.nc
Thu Jun 1 14:17:35 PDT 2023

Hello Mamady,

Question way to broad to be answered simply as it would depend on :

The tasks to be performed by the operator
Your Information system (network, storage of GIS data …)
And many other things …

Here are a few things I have in mind :

GIS operator Workstation (standard use)

  *   Intel i5 or higher (12th gen) or AMD equivalent
  *   16 Gb RAM
  *   512 Gb HD but only SSD or even better PCI / NVME drives
  *   Small dedicated graphic card (any entry level card with 2-4 Gb of dedicated memory)
  *   1 Gb network
GIS analyst Workstation (double up) :

  *   Intel i7or higher (12th gen) or AMD equivalent
  *   32Gb RAM
  *   1 Tb HD but only SSD or even better PCI / NVME drives
  *   dedicated graphic card (4 Gb of dedicated memory)
  *   1 Gb network

And don’t forget to include in your quotations good interfaces (screens = min of 2*24 “, good keyboard and High DPI mouse), we tend to neglect them and use what comes was standard with orders but good large screens and a comfortable mouse does change your long term experience !!

With that kind of spec, you should be able to achieve a lot but once again it will depend on what type of task you’re looking at and also your GIS set up (for instance no need for extra-large local drives if you have DB servers and a good network).

Once again there is no one for all answer here .

Regards

Sébastien LAGARDE